Sunday, April 18, 2010

Weekend

I probably should have been studying...but when you've got two days off, it's just so hard to do! Today was more productive than usual (which is not saying much)...I just haven't felt like doing much of anything lately. I cleaned up the apartment a little today, which felt nice, and have been doing laundry all day. I also tackled something I've been wanting to try for a while--making healthy, high-fiber energy bars. I didnt measure ingredients, but here's kind of what I did:

threw dried dates (pitted), sunflower seeds, and almonds into my magic bullet. Blended them until it made a course, sticky mess.
Then I added all of this to my stand mixer with bran flour, oatmeal, applesauce (a great replacement for oil in any recipe), one egg, and a little water. Mixed it all together, and then pressed it into the bottom of a square cake pan.
I baked it for about 15 minutes on 425 until the edges were brown. That's it! They don't have any added sugar, salt, or fat, so they're not sweet, but the applesauce and dates added a little sweetness. For the second batch, I added a little pumpkin pie spice to the mix. I'm definitely going to try this again, and maybe add apples to the mixture--yum!









Craig cooked a huge cut of pork in some home brewed brown ale last week, which tasted amazing, and saved the broth for later. I decided to use it up today since I had nothing but studying to do. I threw it into a crock pot with celery, carrots, potatoes, onions, and tempeh. Looking forward to trying that as well--it smells so good! No meat in this one (except for the broth).



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...